◎ Used to make nyonya kuih Pai Tee or Top Hats. Paiti is an appetizer made with a savory, crispy thin fried shell, filled with stir-fry yam bean and carrot and spicy sweet mixture of thinly sliced vegetables and prawn.
● Size : Length (34cm)
● Diameter of mould : Upper (4cm) x Lower (2.5cm)
● Height of mould : 4cm
● Colour : Gold
● Material : Copper
► Pie Tee Shell Recipe (https://www.huangkitchen.com/pie-tee-shells/) :
1. Prepare 180g all-purpose flour (sifted), 2 tablespoon of rice flour (sifted), half teaspoon of salt, 2 eggs and 1 1/2 cup of water.
2. Line a plate with a paper towel.
3. In a mixing bowl, add in the shifted all-purpose flour and rice flour.
4. Add in the salt.
5. Followed by eggs.
6. Add water gradually.
7. After combine everything together, mix them until smooth.
8. Strain the batter.
9. Transfer the batter into a big bowl and set aside.
10. Heat up enough oil in wok or deep pan that can cover the Pie Tee Mould.
11. Use medium heat and dip the Pie Tee Mould into heated oil until it's just hot (but not too hot).
12. Shake off excess oil and dip the mould into the batter until it has coated up to 95% level (almost to the edge), then make sure it has well-coated on the sides an bottom.
13. Lift the Pie Tee Mould up and let the excess batter drip off before dipping the mould into the hot oil.
14. To separate the batter from the mould, jiggle the mould lightly and use a wooden chopstick to separate shell from the mould.
15. Once it has off the mould, deep fry in the oil until it has turn into light golden brown colour.
16. Transfer it onto the plate that lined with paper towels before to soak up excess oil from the Pie Tee Shell
17. Store the Pie Tee Shells in an airtight container until needed.
18. Serve it by filling in the Pie Tee Shells with savory turnip fillings and top with cooked prawns, shallot crisps, coriander leaves and chili sauce.
◼ For first timer, you may want to start off using only half the portion of ingredients first as you may need a few trials before you get it right.
Video : https://youtu.be/0nbJjzBz1V8